Friday, September 16, 2005

Progress...

Dr. W, my new RE, is also my new favorite person.

First of all, I have to share this bizarre story about my "RE waiting room experience" after having read others' on the various IF blogs. A guy came in, apparently to do an SA.... with his father. Ok, apparently they came from a long distance and dad drove. So then, they start talking... mind you they're the only ones talking, as everyone else is stone silent... and the dad has an artificial voicebox-thingy, so he's not whispering by any means. They're talking about golf, lawncare, blah blah blah. Then all of a sudden the dad touches his throat and says "couldn't you have just brought it in a jar?"

Ummm, ok.

Anyway. Once I get called back I get interviewed for past history by the nurse practitioner, C. She's EXTREMELY nice. Then I go back into Dr. W's office, and he asks me some questions. Apparently the old doctor's office *didn't* get my request to send over the results, or didn't feel like sending them, because Dr. W didn't have them. (Remind me to do some arse-kicking of them later.)

Dr. W pulled up the HSG film on the computer, and said "well, kid, *I* see a septum." Told me that he wants to schedule me for a 3-D ultrasound to confirm it. Also looked at my bloodwork and agreed with me that the FSH is concerning. He wants to repeat it, along with an estradiol, LH, prolactin, repeat TSH and T4. Oh, and he wants G and I to get karyotyping done.

Afterwards, C. did an exam, and aside from my blood pressure being elevated (stress, maybe??) said that looked fine. I get to do all these tests, and then come back for a followup in six weeks.

Oh, and of course, no trying to conceive until all this is done, of course.

Not that I'd have it any other way. I think.

9 Comments:

Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I'm howling about the jar story. John was so humiliated at the prospect of having one (turns out we didn't need to do that) but asked if he'd be able to keep the magazine if he did. I said probably, as he would then have a relationship with it. My dad had a SA years ago and told John that it's NO BIG DEAL, although nothing will make it more difficult than having to do it on cue, alone.

The other day my RE asked what we were using for birth control. I told him that we were using a diaphragm. He said, 'Thank you.' I went on to explain that we don't want to try and set ourselves up for even more heartache.

I'm betting the bloodwork is the easy part, and likely that it will be normal like mine. The septum is the probable culprit! Did they talk about how soon it can be operated on? They should set it up and get you on any hormones if they're going to, and then do the 3D ultrasound in the meantime (says Dr. Ipsum)!

I love my RE too. Hopefully the love will endure.

Things are moving along! Smile!

9/16/2005 9:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Well, Dr. Ipsum, if only you were directing my care... haha. No, it's not set up yet, I think after a few months of being two weeks ahead of you, you will be passing me up fairly shortly. :)

I am smiling. It's a weird little smile, but it's there. :-D

9/16/2005 9:56 AM  
Blogger cat said...

Happy to hear you like your new RE. I know all the tests and procedures probably seem overwhelming right now. Hoping that they bring quick answers. We will be out here rooting you on.

LOL... on the boys in the office.

9/16/2005 10:22 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

OK...so other than loving your doctor...how do you feel? I'm not sure how to interpret your "weird little smile." (I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff and need it explained clearly so I don't put my foot in my mouth)

9/16/2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Oddly relieved. It's still not great news (particularly the FSH - could mean I'd need to start fertility meds, but I may be getting ahead of myself). But it seems like this practice is more geared towards what I need - and the OB I plan to see eventually (once I'm pregnant again is on the same floor, in the near vicinity. They seemed to be familiar with him. So, I'm happy, in an odd way, even though there's still a potentially confusing road ahead.

9/16/2005 11:07 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Well, I am glad you got one confirmation down. Maybe all of your labs will be a-okay and you can get the other stuff scheduled and done with. I'm sure it's a bit of a relief to have a reason, now. You are no longer unexplained, which so very hard to swallow. To the very near future! ::cheers::

9/16/2005 11:43 AM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Your RE sounds great and very proactive and competant.

Congratulations on a definitive diagnosis. I am so please that there will be a time when you (and Lorem too) will be able to ttc without the presence of the thing that has caused so much heartache.

It'll be worth the wait ((hugs)). I hope your bloods come back normal too:)

9/16/2005 5:19 PM  
Blogger laura said...

i don't really know squat about RE stuff, but i can definitely say YEA! for a doctor you like and who you feel like is on your team. that can only help.

9/16/2005 6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too would be worried about the FSH, but you've got pregnant twice in six months, which means that the FSH is not really an issue - at least at the moment.

HOping that your new RE can find out what's wrong, and that if it's the septum, that it can be easily fixed.

9/18/2005 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home