Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What's another wrinkle among friends?

So yesterday I got the results of some routine bloodwork back -- it had been ordered by my regular doc, basic stuff after I'd gone to see her when my blood pressure was up, back in January. I didn't get it drawn until just the other day (when my progesterone was done). Yeah, bad Lisa.

Anyway, while most everything looked fine, I noticed that my TSH was 3.51. "Within the normal range of 0.4 - 5.5" according to the lab and the doctor's notes. I checked my previous TSH level, which was 2.9. Hmm. Then I went in search of Dr. Google, who told me that I wasn't imagining things, and there WAS a recent release of new reference ranges for TSH, that state that anything above a 3.0 should be investigated further for possible hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism, which can cause dry, itchy skin like I've had for a few months now; basal temperatures on the low side, and sensitivity to cold. Oh yeah, and *infertility*.

So, I have a call in to my doctor's office now, press release from the AACE in hand, ready to discuss whether we might indeed investigate this further.

Universe, what else? I'm afraid to ask, really.

1 Comments:

Blogger Student said...

The good thing is that you have been trained to be a vigilant patient and that you caught it! And the good news is that hypothyroidism is very easily treated. I hope your doc will listen to you and do something about it.

10/25/2006 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home