Friday, October 06, 2006

The things we do...

The past few days I've been contemplating all the bizarre things we do when TTC. For example, just this week I've:
  • eaten a pomegranate on the offchance that the folklore suggesting that it's a fertility symbol may have some truth to it;
  • put a pillow under my hips -- yeah, standard stuff, but man I felt like I was doing yoga or something;
  • taken an OPK that requires a cup, dropper and cartridge in a bathroom stall here at work -- balancing the entire process on my left leg was tricky; and
  • *considered* asking my NP at my annual this morning whether the mucus she was swabbing off of my cervix prior to my Pap was EWCM or creamy. (Mind you, I didn't ask her this, but I did think it! I SWEAR I didn't ask. Really.)
------
Speaking of the NP, I must say that I am very impressed. The internal debate I've been having about whether to go back to the RE's office that did my surgery or stick with my new OB/GYN was plaguing me a bit, but based on what she said and did this morning I feel that the proactive reputation I've gotten about this office is definitely true. She ordered a 7dpo progesterone test for me, without me having to say much more than my concern over slightly shorter LP's. She told me that their office would automatically give me medication (though she didn't say what, I'm assuming probably prophylactic heparin) when I'm pregnant for the homozygous MTHFR. She told me to call and make an appointment to see her as soon as I get a positive HPT for monitoring. And most importantly she took seriously my concerns about not waiting around since I'm 36 -- my previous OB/GYN said she "didn't worry about age until someone was 40." (Yeah, that's why I left THAT sage.) So I'm keeping my November appointment with Dr. J (haha, never thought of him that way before!) and will see what happens from here.

Did I mention that I picked up a penny off the ground this morning, too? Not one of the normal TTC procedures, but at this stage, maybe it'll help.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy McC said...

Hey, it can't hurt, right? I am pulling for you as always...(((hugs)))

10/06/2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Heparin? I'm homozygous MTHFR too and everyone is telling me that I don't need that. Did they say anything else about why? I've never heard of a 7dpo progesterone check. I asked my RE about that and he said there was no point in checking but I sure thought it made sense. It sounds like your NP is giving you at least some ideas and things to try. Good luck.

10/06/2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

STOP THE POMEGRANATE. I tried it too, but it seems it used to be used as a contraceptive--it can hold off ovulation. I had 49 bags of pomegranate tea left and I gave them to friend who doesn't plan on having kids.

Other than that, any good luck charms you mentioned sound good to me. And a proactive RE is the luckiest break of all.

10/08/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger laura said...

may the penny be just the first in a string of wonderful things coming your way!!!

10/10/2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

every little thing could help. A with-it doc has to help. Certainly can't hurt. Good luck!

10/14/2006 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home