Wednesday, January 10, 2007

2007: year of the caduceus?

Is it too soon to be tired of doctors for 2007?

Probably, considering that I have five medical-related appointments/checks in the next six weeks -- luckily, they're spaced out fairly well. (I'm betting that by the end of the year, I will wish that we'd had the foresight to create a flexible spending account for medical expenses, though.)

I had my liver consult on Monday, and I like the approach the doctor suggested: he drew some more labs to re-check the antimitochondrial antibody test with a slightly more sensitive assay; he ordered a CT scan of my liver, scheduled for 1/22, which apparently gives a clearer picture than an ultrasound; and we're meeting again in a month to see how the results look. I'm also supposed to try to lose some weight, since that could be contributing to my fatty liver and elevating my alkaline phosphatase. If that doesn't lower the levels by April, he will schedule a liver biopsy. He can't do anything about the itching just yet, as he can't treat me as though I have PBC until he confirms it or rules it out. I have another appointment with my dermatologist mid-February, though, so perhaps they can figure out something else that will help.

Back to fertility or lack thereof -- in preparation for my RE visit on 1/17, tomorrow I get to go for cd3 bloodwork and my very first baseline ultrasound. I am trying not to think about it too much because my past borderline FSH level a year ago makes me slightly nervous.

Stopping myself from thinking more about it right. now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

Hope the lab results are positive.

1/11/2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said...

I say the same thing every year about the flex spending account. Good luck with the day-3 work--and all tests with the liver. Liver! It makes me feel queasy just saying the word :-)

1/12/2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Losing weight is no fun--but it would be fantastic if that were the reason (or at least a major contributing factor) to the liver issue. Here's to good results and to your health.

1/13/2007 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home