Friday, September 01, 2006

Just don't call me Parker Posey...

So I signed up with a temp agency today. It's actually the same agency that I worked for five years ago, and they seemed pleased to have me back. Mustn't get many people who leave their permanent jobs to go back into temping -- I'm reminded of the movie "Clockwatchers," where Toni Collette's character decides she'd rather temp than apply for the sales job her father wants her to take.

For me, temping is a perfect solution right now to the whole "would sure be nice to bring in some money but I don't want to take a full time job in case I get pregnant" optimism that I'm famous for. Ha. Seriously though, a temp job allows me to have some freedom, the ability to for example, *go* to the doctor's office for a beta on the off chance that I'll need one, without having to go at 6 in the morning. Plus, it allows me to avoid the whole "what will my coworkers think?" -- my coworkers won't know me from Adam, so there's little chance that there'd be any suspicions should I actually get a positive.

That being said, also, being semi-anonymous is also nice should I *not* get a big fat positive, because then I can slink off to the ladies' room and weep without anyone noticing. Or if I get PMS-y at my desk, it's not like there will be a dozen ladies going "what's gotten into HER??"

All kidding aside (as I would never get PMS-y at a job just because I thought I could... really) I'm hoping that this stint will allow me some stress-free work time... I've come back to temping more than once in the past, and it has served me fairly well. I'm a "people person", I make a decent impression and I like the variety that I get doing temporary assignments.

But I think this quote from the movie sums up my reasons for temping now:
Everything is temporary. Everything begins and ends and begins again. When I look ahead, I imagine infinite possible futures repeated like countless photocopies, a thousand blank pages, and in each one I see myself, never hiding, never sitting silently, and never just waiting and waiting and watching the world go by.
Even though it may not be the perfect job, I'm glad for the opportunity to begin and end and begin again. Life's like that anyway, I may as well climb aboard at the next stop.

And maybe it's the perfect job for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I totally get it. I did the same thing last year. I left a permanent job to take a work from home job. Both were/are good jobs it is just that I needed something less structured because of all the Dr. appts. and tears and general manic behavior. Good for you. I hope you won't have to spend too much time in the ladies crying...and more time checking those betas at the Dr.'s office very soon.

9/01/2006 3:48 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I saw that top picture and thought it was you - and thought, 'Lisa looks just like Toni Collette!'

Hey, what's that thing on the desk in front of her?

9/01/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Never seen that movie. Should I?

9/04/2006 5:56 AM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

I liked it, Thalia. It's kind of slow-paced though, some people think it's boring (from the reviews I saw whilst looking for those pics). I've been a temp so I didn't.

9/05/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home