Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ten years ago today...

G and I met, through one of those "voice mail" personals services, believe it or not. Neither he nor I are the type to do such things but had both signed up on a whim. He was one of only three guys total that I met through the service, and I was the only girl he ever met. I like to think it was fate.

We didn't start dating right away after our first meeting, but it was clear that we had a lot in common. He plays guitar and I sing, so we mentioned possibly getting together sometime to "jam" (sounds so rock-star, doesn't it??). He called me a few weeks later to talk and we made plans to get together. We had a blast. From that first music-making attempt, we planned more regular jams, which eventually evolved into a) playing an open stage together, and b) spending a lot of time talking about ourselves. By November, I was seriously smitten. I worked up the nerve to invite him to a concert. In December we went to another concert, this time with dinner first. My friends kept asking me "are you dating??" I seriously didn't know, but didn't think so. "Does he pay for dinner?" Yes, I said. "Does he kiss you goodnight?" On the cheek, I said. Hmm. No clear answers there. We started dating in March of the following year, and I teased him often about the "just friends" attitude he took early on. But truthfully, I'm so grateful that we formed a deeper connection first. It has made all the difference through the past decade that I've known him.

So, as we move onto a new month of trying to make a baby (yes, it's soon to be cd1) I have to keep in mind that I'm glad that he and I are, first and foremost, wonderful friends. Through ups and downs, it's good to have friends like that.

5 Comments:

Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Happy ten years!

8/24/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Congratulations on 10 years, and may you have many, many more!

8/24/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Treggles said...

Congratulations! And what a great 'getting together' story.

8/25/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

Friends do make the best lovers, I always say!

Congratulations of 10 years!

8/25/2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I met my husband through an introductions agency, so I am a big fan of helping cupid along! 10 years is something to be really proud of. Congratalations.

8/27/2006 1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home