Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I passed

No, I'm not talking about a test of any kind. Well maybe not. Apparently yesterday while I was out, I passed for someone's mother.

I went with my friend J and her two daughters (five and six-and-three-quarters -- "not seven yet!" as I was reminded by the eldest! Geez!) to our local amusement park. This is another one of those "what were you thinking" type of activities but I was fooled somewhat with J's discussion of the last time she went with them, when she took them on adult rides. What she failed to mention (or mention loudly enough that I paid attention) was that they DID NOT LIKE said adult rides. Thus, a large percentage of my day was spent in Kiddieland.

However, while there, J and I split up, her with the younger child (M) on the swing ride, me with the eldest (S) on the airplanes. You remember them, they're the ones that can go up and down while going around and around. S was on the ride with another little girl, probably a few years younger, but who was clearly a precocious thing. When they got off the ride the first time both lined up to ride again and when the gate opened, the younger girl was off like a shot to get to her airplane. Her mother stood beside me and shouted encouragement as they went around for a second time. I did the same for S.

On their third ride, the mother turned to me and said something about how glad she was it was slightly overcast. I said, yes, it sure does keep it cooler. She then added "AND *they* won't get sunburned." Oh yes, right. Of course. Our children... they won't get sunburned. That was the implied meaning and it means that I passed! I looked like a mom! The mother chattered on about how glad she was that it wasn't crowded but I just basked in the glow... for another two seconds, because just at that moment, as the ride was slowing down, J walked up with M, and S yelled out "MOMMY! I rode this three times!" Obviously in J's direction, and not in mine.

I did not turn to look at the other mother, to see if her face changed. I know that mine did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy McC said...

((((hugs))))

8/15/2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

And the deeper meaning, which we know...

Our children won't get sunburned.

8/15/2006 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home