Monday, December 05, 2005

Surgery update

Good news! The RE doing the surgery (I'll call him Dr. Thorough) was just that -- thorough, descriptive and helfpul. He had already planned on doing the lap/hyst, so there was no need to convince him of it. Apparently, there is still some question about whether or not my uterus is septate, subseptate or bicornuate, so the lap is the best way to go. This was the only thing that seemed to make G worried; he asked the doc whether an MRI would have been more definitive and when the answer was no, still seemed skeptical. I think just the notion of his wife having surgery when there is a possibility that it might not help (i.e., if I was bicornuate) bothers him a little. I feel ok with it, oddly, as lap/hyst is the gold standard from everything I've read, and is probably the only way to do "due diligence" in getting this fixed, if it's correctable.

Surgery is 12/13, at 2 pm (unless they move me up, of course). Clear liquids six hours before, cytotec pill you-know-where the night before (I think, anyway; prescription's in the car) and I get to do a certain type of "prep", if you get my drift. (Oh joy.)

Dr. Wonderful will decide during surgery whether I'll need a balloon catheter (apparently this is based on how much of a septum they haev to remove) and whether I'll need to be on estrogen will depend on whether I have the catheter. I'll then have a sonohystogram sometime post-op (probably a month or so) to make sure we're "right as rain."

All in all, I'm pleased with the way this went, and am now ready to officially kick 2005 all the way into the next decade.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa that sounds great, I'm so pleased. You can have a relaxing week or so now, and then again after the surgery. I also had a lap/hyst and although I was pretty uncomfortable afterwards, I wasn't in agony, so I hope the same will be true for you - I was back on my feet in 2 days.

12/05/2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger cat said...

So glad you have it all set up and we will be out here rooting for you. May the 13th come quickly.

Here here to kicking 2005 to the curb!

12/05/2005 2:09 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

YEAH! I like Dr. Thorough - someone who treats you as an intelligent person and not just a body to work over.

I didn't have the cytotech pill - never heard of it, actually - and am not really sure about what your 'prep' is... I'm guessing you mean shaving!

Anyway - this is going to be great. A refurbished uterus for Christmas. However shall you make it festive?

12/05/2005 3:22 PM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Actually E., it's a bowel prep, otherwise known as a Fleet! Oh joy.

I just realized I called the doc Dr. Thorough in the first paragraph and Dr. Wonderful later on. Hmmmm....

I'm thinking a nice string of lights and some tinsel!

12/05/2005 3:33 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Oh. I just had to shave.

Well - it'll be over quickly enough!

12/05/2005 4:58 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

It sounds like we have a plan and good 'un at that! I'm glad you have a good doctor and I am hoping 'right as rain' will be the final diagnosis:)

12/06/2005 3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds very good, Lisa. Very good indeed.

And if you need any help kicking this crappy year into the dark recesses of time and space, just give me a shout. I've got the appropriate shoes on already.

12/06/2005 5:18 AM  
Blogger laura said...

lots of good plans! yea for that. i think, though, if i had my choice of preps, i'd choose shaving over self-enema-izing. i'm glad you clarified, though, because from your wink-wink, i thought prep was something sexy, like, say, having sex (although i didn't know how that would help your surgery - loosen up your cervix a bit maybe? i'm so clueless).

12/06/2005 7:36 PM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

Good luck with it. I'll join you in waving good bye to '05.

12/06/2005 7:58 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

By the way, I read Jill's post and now I know what Cytotec is the brand name for. Ta-da.

12/08/2005 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Boise Locksmith said...

This was lovely thanks for sharing this

11/09/2022 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home