Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Rote

Sorry for the lack of posts -- I've been busily preparing for Thursday's feast, and haven't had a lot of time to blog.

But this morning, as I entered my temperature into my completely pointless chart, an entry came to mind.

I started out as a terrible offender -- a "babyduster" as I first heard mentioned over on Em's blog. I once told my cousin, who unbeknownst to me was mentally preparing for IVF, that I'd heard that "Robitussin can help you get pregnant." (Yikes.) I used cutesy abbreviations for fertility-related things in my normal conversations and then explained them at length to anyone who inquired what in the hell I was talking about.

Yep, I guess I was a Clueless Fertile.

Somehow, though, if the past year or so has taught me nothing else, I've learned that "Aunt Flow" isn't any less of a pain in the ass with a cutesy name. I've learned that "sticky vibes" do not, no matter how much someone wishes them for you, make one's pregnancy stick. I've learned that it hurts to watch others in your "buddy group" get pregnant, even when you don't want to be jealous.

I've learned that obsessing for a "BFP" can make you crazy and sad and more than just a little weird at times. (OK, maybe that last part only really applies to me.)

My reason for posting this? I'm thinking of stopping temping. It's doing absolutely nothing for me right now except to mark the days between periods and until we're ready to try again, and I'm not sure that hearing that little "beep" every morning is helping my mood.

I know some of you still have charts, although I'm not sure how many of you are still using them. What do you think? Should I give the thermometer a rest??

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I can offer you about a cent and a half, but here's my take. For each of my last 3 failed pregnancies, it took 6 months, 9 months, and 13 years to conceive. not a one of them were the result of temping and mucous checking. Sure, we tried it, and the Robitussin, and the clomid, etc... Each of them were just accidental; go figure. My doc even told me this last time to stop temping, it didn't mean a damn thing (maybe that was just applicable to me, I don't know), and it only served to make me more upset.
In addition, to agree with Lola, this "next time" I'm not even going to acknowledge the alleged pregnancy until forced to do so.

11/23/2005 9:16 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

My doctor is having me use OPKs. I've never used them before, but normally I'm pretty regular (when I'm not having miscarriages, I mean). He wants me to use them because once I 'surge' I'll be using progesterone. So I'll use the OPKs. And I use Mucinex (Robitussin in pill form) about five days before scheduled O to help the EWCM (sorry for another acronym). Walgreen's always has them on sale.

So yeah, I'm giving the thermometer a break. The beeping drives my husband nuts anyway.

11/23/2005 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first I thought you were talking about quitting a job. Probably because I never consider temping, because I know I wouldn't stick with it.

If you feel that it's not helping, why not give it a break for a while? One less pain in the ass. You can always go back to it if you miss it!

11/23/2005 1:32 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Well particularly if you aren't in trying mode, why bother? I have used it all my married life to avoid pregnancy cos I cannot use BCP but when I am not either trying, or trying to avoid then the thermometre goes back in the medicine box.

I'm also a tad obsessive about it and it has never stressed me much cos I like knowing the all important answer to 'what is your body up to today?'.

If you are stressed about it, ditch it.

11/24/2005 3:48 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hi Lisa. Glad you're doing relatively well here. I've never temped. But I have, all along, taken "breaks" from trying to conceive, anywhere from 2 to 5 months at a time. And I really do think relaxing the obsession can be sanity-saving. It's too easy to let your entire life be taken over by the fertility issue--especially when you know you're a hard core case and likely to be in it for the long haul.

11/26/2005 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home