Tuesday, November 29, 2005

doctor, doctor, give me the news

Well, I had an appointment with my RE (Dr. W, though I need to come up with a better name for him) today -- and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure he was sure why, either, even though he is the one who told me to schedule it.

He asked me if I'd had my surgery yet. Umm, no. Your partner is doing it next month. He then talked to me for a while (more on results in a sec), told me that he didn't think I'd need to keep seeing him after the surgery ("unless of course you would have another miscarriage..." - thanks for keeping my confidence level up, Doc) and closed with "make sure that Dr. K monitors you the next time you get pregnant." Yeah, Dr. K -- that'd be my old doctor, the doctor I'm never going to see again. Hmm. And to think that I thought that this RE was Dr. Wonderful... apparently he's just as distracted at times as everyone else. Probably saw Dr. K's name on some old lab result in my chart and remembered that, rather than the fact that I distinctly told him I wasn't happy with their practice and was going to find another doctor.

But at least there was some good news -- normal karyotyping for both G and I, and my thyroid antibodies were also normal. He didn't see a problem with me going on baby aspirin after the surgery, although I could tell that he isn't sold on the link between MTHFR and miscarriages. (I wanted to say "well, hey what's another miscarriage among friends -- maybe even throw in pre-eclampsia or a stroke or heart attack!" but thought he probably wouldn't appreciate the sarcasm.)

So, aside from the fact that I'm having KILLER cramps right now, all is well, gynocologically speaking. Well, as well as can be with the septum and all. I am so ready to get that thing out -- this may sound crazy, but I swear that since I've known about it, my uterus has felt different. There's no logical reason I should be saying this, as there is no way that I could actually be feeling something, umm, up there. But I've had more weird pains and cramps and odd feelings since finding out about this than I ever remember.

Of course, I could just have a hypochondriac for a uterus. Better than a depressed vagina, I guess.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathy McC said...

Yay for normal test results! I hope the time goes fast to your surgery so you can get that septum out and move on!!

11/30/2005 8:31 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

I too am happy about the test results! One less variable to wrestle with.

My RE (Dr. H) is Mr. Positive, although he does have moments of absent-mindedness. ('Are you having a follow-up HSG?') Fortunately, he is the only doctor in the practice and so at least remembers that he did do my surgery. He, too, told me to have my OB - and they don't care who it is, as long as it's an OB - monitor my next pregnancy, because even though two D&Cs, an HSG and a hystero/lap have battered my uterus and cervix this year, supposedly there's more of a CONGENITAL chance of incompetent cervix - NOT from the procedures. The idea is, I'll be under his care for the first trimester, then on to the regular OB for the rest.

Dr. H didn't have to say that the septum would lead to more losses if left intact; that was more implicit. And oh, I thought I'd have the septum removed too - after surgery, I asked him if I could take it home in a jar - but mine was so large and thick he cut it away so it could retract into the uterine wall. Then, in the next few weeks, if you remember, I had these sonic treatments in the office to tease the tissue to stay retracted. They were very painful - worse than an HSG - but over quickly.

So now it's onward to December 13. Psychologically and physically, it should be a piece of cake after all you've been through. It is the start of a new phase, with a new, refurbished uterus!

11/30/2005 8:46 AM  
Blogger cat said...

So many doctors are not ready to accept the link between thrombophilia issues and miscarriage. It is maddening.

You are correct a depressed vagina is not a good thing.

11/30/2005 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the test results, especially concerning the karyotypes. I'm glad that you got some good news, even though your interaction with your RE was somewhat less than satisfying.

11/30/2005 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when you have to remind your doc about the big stuff. I can understand them not remembering all the details, but you'd like to think they have a general sense of what's going on with you without having to refer to a chart every time. That used to frustrate me about my OB.

Anyway, glad the results are coming back good. And I certainly understand your eagerness to move on with the surgery - get things fixed up so you can move on to the next step.

11/30/2005 5:43 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

By the way, the NYT has an article today you might be interested in. It's available online and called, 'When the Doctor Is in, but You Wish He Weren't.'

11/30/2005 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home