Sunday, November 27, 2005

only 29 shopping days...

Thanksgiving at our house was quite lovely. Aside from a minor piecrust incident the eve prior (there can only be one piecrust queen in my family and my mom holds the title right now) the dinner was wonderful, if I do say so myself. And my piecrust wasn't horrible, it just wasn't as good as mom's or her mom's before her.

Today we began the process of putting up decorations. We're planning on getting our tree next weekend, so that we can have it up and decorated before the surgery. But today we focused on outdoor lights and the downstairs mini-tree and the decorations for the mantle over the fireplace.

I tried not to think about the stocking holder I was planning to buy last year at this time, when I thought I'd have a first Christmas to plan.

Actually, to tell the truth, last year at this exact time I didn't know yet that I was pregnant. Since we'd had a huge fight the night before Thanksgiving, when I thought I was ovulating, I was sure that we'd missed our chance that month.

We found out on December 7 (yes, "a day that will live in infamy") that apparently we hadn't missed anything.

I think (judging by the way we jumped into the holiday decorating) that the plan around these parts is to pretend like everything's ok. I've been feeling so much better than I had previously that it shouldn't be too hard to pull off from my end; we'll do everything just like we would have last year, had I not been pregnant.

Except that it won't be like last year.

Get me through to December 31, and fast.

8 Comments:

Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Race ya!

11/27/2005 2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all in the same boat, aren't we. I think it's easier in the UK as we don't have this whole holiday season thing from thanksgiving through new year. I only have to hide from dec 24-jan 2 and I'm pretty safe.

Hoping that the decorating goes well.

11/27/2005 11:53 AM  
Blogger laura said...

not that i want to wish my life away, but i would like a fast forward button to push us into january.

11/27/2005 12:51 PM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

Good plan. Throw yourself into it. BTW, piecrust is an ART. It takes time! Don't pressure yourself!

11/28/2005 5:43 PM  
Blogger April said...

Sometimes I think that this is the best way to heal. By throwing ourselves into something else we're able to block out a portio nof the pain.

Thinking of you.

11/29/2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to LOVE the holidays, but now I often just grit my teeth and get through them. Each Christmas I think "maybe by next Christmas we will have a baby" and each successive Christmas that rolls around with no child in our quiet house gets harder and harder. The deluge of Christmas cards with pictures of people's numerous kids on them is a daily reminder in my mailbox of what I'm missing out on, and it hurts. I can't wait until January!

11/29/2005 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, for 5 years my husband and I have been going to various family members' homes for Christmas/Christmas Eve and participating in their kid-centered celebrations. I remember thinking in the beginning, oh well, someday we'll have our own family Christmas. Uh yeah, someday. But once again, not this year. I would skip it all, if I could.

I wish you luck in continuing with your "OKness."

11/29/2005 4:16 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Yup, roll on 2006 and may it be a better year for us all!

11/29/2005 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home