Thursday, December 01, 2005

Statue of a lady with a clock, where her stomach ought to beeeeeee....

G is being really vague and evasive about what he wants for Christmas this year.

Now normally, we have this little ritual whereby we don't actually TELL each other what we want for Christmas, but rather hint around at it in the hopes that the other will pick up on our hints. Some years this works rather well; other years we come out and ask each other outright "so I'm not getting any hints from you this year -- fess up!"

This year, however, he keeps pulling the "I don't need anything" card.

Now mind you, it's *also* my job to find out for my mother what G wants. When I tell him "my mother wants to know what you want, too" he tells me "tell her to save her money" or "tell her to get me clothes" (she ALWAYS gets him clothes, plus other things) or "tell her to re-gift that blah blah blah that your dad isn't using." This is because he has a long-standing...shall we say, "discussion," with his dad about the fact that every year he gives us each a large money gift, after having been told by G and his brothers to "spend the money on themselves." Never works of course.

So, anyway, last night I resorted to my old standby, which is to read items aloud to him from the Radio Shack advertisement to see if anything sparks an interest. So I'm reading through the radios and say "hey, maybe I could replace your old transistor radio that you use every year at Christmas..." Hmm, no -- that's a tradition (using that *particular* radio) so that won't work. (Although it did inspire the Allan Sherman reference in my title -- heard that song in college and it cracked me up!)

Finally, after hearing me read about all sorts of electronic devices, he finally said "IKNOW! This is something I really want."

And, being the memory-challenged person that I am, I promptly forgot it.

Which is why I wrote this blog entry this morning; to hopefully jog my memory about what it is he wanted. Guess what -- it worked!! By the end of the post it had popped back into my head (better write it down -- a CD/radio boom box for the garage). I guess thinking about something else other than "oh crap, what WAS that he said???" is a better way of remembering things, anyway.

Hope none of your gifts this year involve an automatic vegetable slicer that works when you see it on television, but not when you get it home.

5 Comments:

Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Yesterday I called my parents at 730 am their time to talk to my dad and my mom told me he was at work - had gone in at seven. Now, remember, my dad sells appliances. I told J about how he wouldn't be able to talk to us until later and he wanted to know why my dad was in so early. I explained that it's Sears and it's the holiday shopping season. He has to be there so people can get up bright and early and get their dishwashers and microwaves.

Then I said, 'If you EVER...'

12/01/2005 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jillian said...

What do you mean, the veggie slicer doesn't work at home??? I have been subjected to the wonder of the V-slicer and accessories for just $89.99 plus postage ALL YEAR and I dream of effortless fries, lightening fast coleslaw (I don't even eat it) and spirally cucumbers. And then you suggest that my dreams will always be just out of reach even if I own said veggie slicer... I think I need some chocolate to get over this disappointment:( Why...WHY....WHY?????

12/02/2005 5:50 AM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Jill - chocolate is a wonderful gift, too... will have to remind G that.

Side thought: are Aussies familiar with Allan Sherman?? (He's a bit before my time, sure, but "Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda" was still being played for kids when I was little.)

12/02/2005 7:39 AM  
Blogger Jillian said...

I know that Camp Granada song - don't know how or why but possibly crappy 70s and 80s kids' movies have something to do with it:) His name doesn't ring any bells though!

12/02/2005 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't even thought about Christmas gifts yet. I so need to get on the ball.

12/02/2005 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home