Thursday, December 08, 2005

Santa Claus is coming... for a perm

In celebration of the inch of snow that's fallen here in the past hour, here's a holiday story about an interesting career: Santa's stylist!


Yes, Virginia, Santa really does have a beard that's as white as the snow; it just may need a touchup every now and again. That's where the Hair Appeal salon comes in. Santa(s) [shhh] drive, fly or are delivered by a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer to Roswell, GA year after year to get their 'do's re-done.

I actually heard about this on public radio but wanted to look up the story in print to find a picture; the radio story also mentioned that there is actually a group for people with real beards who play Santa -- and it's got a COOL name, the Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas. That is so cool, it makes me want to be a jolly old elf just so I can be a part of it. (Ok, not really, but it's still cool.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

OK...strange admission time. It really freaks me out to see Santa anywhere but the mall. I don't know why. It's just not *right*.

12/09/2005 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Key West during Hemmingway days in July of '02. They have big look-alike contest at Sloppy Joe's, so there were white-bearded, safari-shirted guys all over the island. My husband and I have a photo of us w/five "Hemmingways." Anyway, the Santas reminded me of that. It was pretty funny. Some people really dig living life as a character.

12/09/2005 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home