Monday, October 31, 2005

Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin

Does anyone else feel like saying "I got a rock" this year?

Yeah, me too.
---

I just finished carving the last of our five pumpkins (G carved two of them, also). I can remember when I was younger that this was an activity for my mom and I, and we usually stayed up late to do it. For that matter, we stayed up late to dye Easter eggs or decorate the Christmas tree, as well; Mom and I were both night owls at that time. I've changed since then; I'm REALLY tired now, and it's not even midnight.

(Of course, this could also be attributed to the fact that last night, I had insomnia, and ended up staying up until 6 am (or rather, 5 am Daylight Savings Time) watching the last of the season one episodes of Lost I rented on DVD. I then fell asleep and woke up when my clock (still on normal time) said 11 am. Thanksfully there was opportunity for a nap earlier in the afternoon, but I'm still tired. Yawn.)

But I digress. I was thinking as I was cleaning up that I was acting like a parent; I can think of the number of times over the years that I got interested in something else while Mom finished dipping white eggs in blue dye or cleaning the guts out of the last pumpkin. That's what Moms (or Dads) do; they understand that a kid's attention span may trickle off after the first few minutes, but that the next day when it's time for trick-or-treat, the sight of those jack-o-lanterns all lit up on the front porch will make them ooh and ahh, and they'll tell all their friends which one they carved all by themselves.

I'm practicing now, I guess. Hopefully for a good reason.

5 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

someday there will be a child that will be so lucky to have you for its mom, even if it doesn't realize it until, well, it's 30-something.

10/31/2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I always thought that Halloween was unnecessarily cruel to Charlie Brown. I mean really...adults giving rocks to children? Even the stinky kid got candy!

Here's hoping that next year brings you all sorts of treats for Halloween.

10/31/2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Yeah, I'm sick of pretending to be a parent, and not just on Halloween. I want to do it for real.

And the deadpan 'I got a rock' always makes me laugh, but now that you mention it...

10/31/2005 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween! Your pumpkin carving sounds fun, and I hope that you can share that fun with your child some day.

My husband and I are so lame that for the past 12 years that we have been together for Halloween we have said, "Hey, let's get a pumpkin and carve it!"...but we never have done it. We usually celebrate Halloween by stuffing our pieholes with leftover candy after the trick-or-treaters are done for the evening.

10/31/2005 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you never have another Halloween without a child of your own to share it with.

10/31/2005 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home