Saturday, October 29, 2005

Concentrate and ask again

G called me near the end of the work day yesterday and started telling me about the relevant parts of his health insurance that would cover fertility treatments, should they become necessary. I looked over it last night while he was out with a friend and at least on the surface, it's good coverage; 90% coverage for most everything, although drugs have some pre-authorization requirements and some are considered non-formulary. Compared to my insurance (zero coverage after a diagnosis of infertility), it's great.

I was all set to be relieved, thinking "this is good; even though I *probably* won't need it; even though fixing these other fixable things will most likely result in a successful pregnancy for me, at least no matter what the Universe decides to throw at me in the coming year, we will NOT have to go into debt for it."

Then G said "this is how much it would cost to put you on my insurance..."

Bad: they charge $50 extra a month if a spouse who is currently working (and therefore has access to their own insurance) decides to go on their plan. That, plus the additional cost of husband/wife coverage, would mean that we would be spending almost $1100 more per year on health insurance than we would if we stuck with the status quo.

And, seeing as how there's that teeny tiny little point that I may not need it, G doesn't necessarily think that we need to make a change.

At the time of our phone conversation I said "well, we don't have to decide now; we can talk about it, right?" Meaning, maybe I can talk some sense into you before the deadline for open enrollment, of course. Ahem.

But he's convinced that everything will go right, that the Universe will suddenly start throwing ticker-tape parades in our honor, that's how lucky we'll be; that we'll fix the septum and treat the clotting disorder and *PRESTO-CHANGE-O*, we'll have a baby, by gum! (Okay, maybe not; he's got high hopes, for sure, but I'm thinking the MONEY is a bigger issue for him. Sigh.)

I, of course, am not so easily convinced. Hope, that brazen hussy, keeps trying to barge in here and whisper sweet nothings in my ear: You won't even probably start trying again until March, at the earliest. That means you'd have *nine months* before the next open enrollment period, and surely you can get pregnant again in that timeframe! If not, then you can get on his insurance at that point and all will be well with the world.

(Why would it have to be NINE months, anyway?)

Contrary to what G thinks I think, I do not automatically think we should get on his insurance. It's a lot of money for something we may not need. Logically I can see that. But that little nagging voice in the back of my head keeps wondering "what if something else goes wrong?" (As in, who are you, Universe, and why does it look like you're ready to smack me from behind with a shovel??) In the grand scheme of things, $1100 would look like chump change if indeed we were suddenly facing the cost of a complete IVF cycle.

We're trying to do our homework, here. G is going to try to get more information from his insurance plan on Monday, such as whether there is a pre-existing condition limitation (bad) and what specifically they mean by "assisted fertilization procedures." I'm thinking about calling my doctor on Monday and seeing if they can tell me any information about whether in their professional opinion I have any possibility of needing any type of ART procedures or medications. (Not that I realistically think they'll be able to tell me that, but it is worth asking.)

I just wish things didn't have to be this complicated, or that the right answer was more clearly defined.

It doesn't help that I went to one of those Magic Eight Ball Sites, and every time I asked, I got "It is decidedly so;" "Without a doubt" or "The answer is yes." (Clear enough for you, Universe??)


Blogger Lorem ipsum said...

The whole idea of insurance is based on gambling; you probably pay more in your lifetime on car insurance, for example, than you'll ever get paid out (we hope), but then the companies do have the money for those who do have to cash in big when such unfortunate things happen.

That said, $1100 is a small investment. Yes, you may not have to use it, but trust me - that's small potatoes compared with the cost of stuff. (And since yesterday, two more claims have come through, for the not one but TWO anesthesiologists from the 11th.) For roughly an extra $20 a week, I'd say it's worth it. Especially since you have two incomes.

Just my 2ยข.

10/29/2005 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Kim said...

I would enroll in the coverage. Look at it this way, if you get pregnant and never need the coverage,you can drop it after the baby is born. Does the insurance company charge you the spousal penalty if you continue to stay covered under your own coverage and just use your husband's as secondary? Something to think about. Also, does your husband pay his premiums with pre-tax dollars? If so, it makes the $1100 per year less of a hit to you. Best of luck!

10/29/2005 7:42 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Which would you regret more if it turned out to be the "wrong" decision?

10/29/2005 8:14 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

It's insurance. You may never need it (hooray!) but if you don't have it and you need it, you are going to be very sad. And a lot poorer. If you can afford it, I would go for it.

10/30/2005 1:44 PM  
Blogger lauralu said...

it's so trying, when you both ultimately really want the same thing, to be on different pages. i hope you figure out what's best for you without too much collateral damage.

10/30/2005 6:23 PM  
Anonymous pixi said...

I'll echo what others have said - it's better to have it. I hope you don't end up needing it, but then, it may be the best $1100 you ever "wasted!"

10/30/2005 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Steph said...

I really think you should just get the insurance "Just in case" Its just $.

10/31/2005 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home