Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama.

(Don't ask, I just love palindromes.)

So today was the RE visit. As G and I were sitting in the waiting room, my cell phone rang -- it was the nurse from the RE's office, calling about my bloodwork. "I'm in the waiting room," I said, "and will be seeing Dr. W in ten minutes."

"Oh, never mind then, he can talk to you about this." Talk to me about what??

Ends up it was (probably) nothing - my prolactin was slightly elevated, probably because I forgot and drank coffee that morning. Turns out though that I have a shy ovary -- my left one apparently likes to hide behind my uterus. The consequence of that being that while I know now that I had 6-8 antral follicles on my cd3 scan, I don't know if that's for one ovary, or both. At first, Dr. W said that the u/s might not matter since my FSH was 6.1. But then he read back through my notes and saw that it had been as high as 11.9 in the past, and got a semi-worrisome look on his face.

He only looked slightly worried while reading G's SA results, but didn't seem as bothered about that -- his plan is to have G do a repeat SA -- at the office this time, no rushing through traffic to make it to the lab in under an hour since there is a chance that could have contributed to the motility issue.

Then I told him about the liver/skin issues. He told me that, given my u/s and FSH, his next step is to try injectibles (Follistim or Menopur, possibly) -- but I will need to get that cleared with my PCP and my liver doctor. I don't know if there could be any danger to me from those, but I'll admit I am slightly worried about my liver/skin issues pushing back our ability to move forward with treatment. I guess I should be more worried about having a serious illness than about whether we'll be able to keep trying to get pregnant, but I never said my priorities were completely worked out.

Oh yeah, one more thing -- I get one try with the injectibles. If it doesn't work, we move on to IVF I assume -- with motility issues there's no need to consider IUI, and with poor response to FSH there's no point in continuing with the injectibles.

I just said on someone else's blog that I wish I had bookmarked all those blogs that deal with these things I never knew I'd need to know...

I have so many questions.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa, well, that sounds somewhat encouraging! I hope you get all your questions answered to your satisfaction -- and I wish I could help you out with them. Have you tried looking up the info on Stirrup Queens?

As for the effects of injectibles on the liver, I don't know where to find that sort of information. I suppose all medications that are metabolized by the liver are off-limits? Maybe a Google search for follistim metabolized liver?

Do you know yet when you can expect answers on your liver/skin issues?

Thinking of you and hoping so hard that this round works.

1/18/2007 3:33 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Thinking of you and wishing you luck with the injectibles.

1/18/2007 10:49 AM  
Blogger MB said...

Let me know if you have questions. I've been around the block a time or two... Hugs.

1/19/2007 8:04 AM  
Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

I can relate to wishing I had bookmarked all the blogs talking about stuff I never thought I'd need to know!

I hope this protocol does the trick!

1/19/2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Hey there. Anytime...thevegasbaums@ yahoo.com

1/19/2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I'm so glad you've got a plan. And an FSH of 6.1? That's good news.

I think most of us can answer at least some questions, ask away and see what happens.

1/21/2007 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home