Tuesday, October 11, 2005

con-cen-TRA-shun

Day one of trying to eat healthier and start an exercise program. Figures that I would pick Tuesday to start something like this; never denied that I'm a little odd! So far so good, although I have dinner ahead of me and even though I'm cooking it, I seem to have the hardest time in the evening. For the past few days I've been trying to take the stairs instead of the elevator, park a little further away from where I'm going, all of that, but tonight I plan to ride the recumbent exercise bike in the gameroom that has been gathering dust for a while now.

Several times in the past fifteen years I have attempted to lose weight, most often by doing We!ght Watchers. I am trying the same thing this time only not paying for it; the toughest part about this is the lack of accountability. Something about paying someone to weigh me each week managed to motivate me, at least for a while. But as with so many things I do, I would tire of it after a certain point and no amount of money lost would be enough to make me follow the program.

It's a theme of mine, really, and partially the reason a few months ago that I was convinced I had ADD; this jumping into something wholeheartedly only to get bored with it or forget that I was supposed to be doing it or just generally taper off from whatever it was. The counselor I spoke with about it told me that it wasn't likely I had ADD, since I was a good student and don't recall having trouble focusing until adulthood. Maybe it's just lack of discipline, or poor concentration habits, or depression, but whatever it is, it seems to strike me at the times when it's most inconvenient.

I read other people's blogs, and it is even evident to me there. I wish that I were a better writer. I tend to use far too many parenthetical phrases and most of the time my entries are spare, brief, disjointed. (This may have been why I liked grant writing so much; it fit my writing style since you need to be short and to the point in most cases.) Sometimes when I sit down to write I think I have a lot to say, but once I get going I seem to sputter out after only a few short paragraphs.

Actually, I *do* have a lot to say. It may just be getting stuck on the way out of my head.

6 Comments:

Blogger cat said...

Welcome home! Someone once told me that starting things on any day but a Monday is a good thing. So you are right on track chica... :)

Assvice alert: One thing that helped me last year lose the 25lbs I had packed on was filling my dinner plate then taking 1/2 the food off of it then eating the food that was left and saving the other 1/2 until the next day for lunch. This way I ate one meal in two meal sittings. It didn't always work but that and drinking only water plus the stairs, walking stuff helped a lot.

Good luck to you we will be out here rooting you on. :)

10/11/2005 1:36 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

If you'd like to pay someone to keep you accountable, I'll volunteer. :o)

And your blog is great. I check it every day, and am disappointed when there is nothing new. I hope you don't get bored with it. I would miss you too much.

10/11/2005 2:56 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

When you say you were a good student, are you meaning good grades or a nice steady study routine?

I ask because you are obviously smart and could probably get away with minimum focus if the subject was right and still be ADD.

I dunno, I always got good grades but was an horrendous student! And my mother swears I am ADHD/ADD. LOL:)

10/11/2005 4:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Well, Jill, I don't think I had that great of a study routine but good grades were pretty easy for me. I didn't have to study hard, it seemed. Which was good because I was a horrible procrastinator. :)

If I wasn't TTC (well, I'm not *right* now but you know what I mean) I would love to investigate the adult ADD meds. If only they were OTC of course.

10/11/2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

oh and Catherine and Cat... thanks for the encouragement! :) I needed it today.

10/11/2005 4:24 PM  
Blogger laura said...

welcome home! your posts were missed!

i don't think that's ADD you're describing; that's called the human condition.

hang in there, sister.

10/11/2005 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home