Wednesday, October 05, 2005

my first illegal move

No, it's not that I can't drive 55; apparently I can't follow directions.

I was supposed to fast for twelve hours before my prolactin test this morning, not the eight I could *swear* I'd heard the nurse say on the phone when I scheduled the appointment. To do this, I'd have essentially had to grab a granola bar for dinner and let G fend for himself last night as I was not even home to begin making dinner before 6:30. Oy. The end result may not be all that bad... as I've been told many times by many people "well, you can at least GET pregnant" so the prolactin is not likely an issue in my case. I still wish I'd been able to get it right, but I'll try to let myself off the hook. The worst that will happen is that it will appear elevated and they'll repeat it.

And, the other tests - estradiol, FSH, LH, TSH and T4 - did not depend on the fasting. I'm now of the opinion that worrying about my borderline FSH is not getting me anywhere. Worrying that I *might* be heading towards ovarian failure is only going to make it more of an issue when we finally are able to start trying again, and may even work against me when it comes time to finally start doing the deed for real again. (Nothing like a little pressure to create performance issues if you get what I'm saying!!)

So today I am taking a cue from my bloggy friends who have given optimism more than just a compulsory stab, and am focusing on the positives:
  • We have something fixable (septate uterus) ahead of us;
  • Time between appointments gives me time to enjoy my vacation, have a glass (or two!) of good wine, or maybe even expensive champagne on my anniversary (G mentioned in passing last night while staring at a previously-enjoyed bottle that maybe buying a bottle of Dom shouldn't be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us);
  • I am going to the beach this weekend! We're leaving tomorrow morning for Cape May, NJ, which is somewhat of a fall tradition for G and I; we got engaged there six years ago next Saturday in fact. Even if the weather is rainy and gray, a rainy day at the ocean is better than a sunny day at home ANY time.
Hopefully I can maintain this positive focus for at least a few weeks. (Oh, and anyone reading has permission to remind me of this post when I start wallowing again, scout's honor.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathy McC said...

I promise to remind you next time you're feeling down. Now go enjoy some good wine and go to the Melting Pot!!! You deserve it. Might as well live it up while you wait...

10/05/2005 10:21 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Vacations and alcohol have been two outlets during my in-between-conceiving periods. I know one day I'll live without alcohol (while pregnant), but not without vacations (ever)!

10/05/2005 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your test results, and have fun in Cape May!

10/05/2005 1:25 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

I hope your results are good and that you have plenty of good wine and good food. Might as well while you can cos it won't be long before a bottle of Dom is but a memory or a far off plan!

Have a great weekend:)

10/06/2005 6:33 PM  
Blogger laura said...

have you made it back? hope you had exactly the vay-cay you needed.

10/09/2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

I never knew you had to fast before a prolactin test. I've had about four and never had to.

10/09/2005 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home