Monday, October 03, 2005

family ties

The party yesterday was a typical "large family gathering" in many respects, although G's family has its own unique dynamic in that one branch of the family doesn't tend to socialize much with the other two, except on occasions such as this. As such, G hadn't seen many of his first and second cousins since his grandmother's 85th birthday. Oh, and the other thing about this branch of the family is that there are a LOT of them -- lots of kids, grandkids and great-grandkids, and even a few great-great-grandkids thrown in for good measure.

I am amazed that I held it together when they took pictures of the various generations and made a point of including the one pregnant girl (of course, since she's got the next generation in her perfectly round belly). There was also a new set of twins there, born in May, I think, and their mother kept accidentally hitting me with things when she'd walk past my chair -- the diaper bag, her purse, the girl's carseat.

No one asked us about our plans to start a family, thankfully.

Woulda been, coulda been, shoulda been. Oh well.

4 Comments:

Blogger lorem ipsum said...

'What would we do baby, without us? What would we do baby, without us?' (sorry)

We have a picture of my grandmother holding a picture of my cousin's ultrasound a few weeks before she died at 95. I, too, hate the thought of being cheated out of that. I wonder if there was anyone else in the room who felt the way you did too?

10/03/2005 12:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

E., I was the only married female there without kids; G was the last of the grandchildren in his family to get married. (Even some of the great-grandchildren were married before we were.) Plus, they're an extremely fertile bunch.

10/03/2005 2:33 PM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

o h .

10/03/2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Thank goodness for small mercies I guess. The fertility sounds torturous but at least you slipped under the radar:( Won't be long though and you will be the one with the perfectly round belly. You sure are a trooper:)

10/03/2005 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home