Friday, September 23, 2005

how fragile we are

Well, my date night plans have changed drastically. We're going to the funeral home as one of G's best friends from high school has lost his father.

I'm disappointed, but it also has me thinking about the fragility of life.

This friend of G's is the same age. His dad was younger than my father-in-law, by more than a few years. My best friend, J, lost both of her parents in the past four months. She's six months older than I am. Never mind the fact that I haven't had my first child yet at age 35; the thought of losing our parents is becoming a reality that we cannot avoid. I don't feel old enough for that to happen, and yet it could.

We get to witness the first time ever in our history that two catastrophic storms have hit the same region of the country in the same year. I'm still struck by the way nature has proven to us that it can take back the land, any time it wants, without warning. We only think we're in control.

If we I spent less time worrying about the bad things that might happen and more time enjoying the fact that I'm living, it wouldn't keep the bad things from happening, I know that. But perhaps I might have learned to live with them better had I followed that practice all this time.

Food for thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I always said I wanted my life to be messy and complicated and rich with experience. Then I lost Alex. I guess I didn't realize that what I was wishing for included the bad with the good. I can miss him and still recognize that I'm alive and have many many blessings...and many many more experiences to...well...experience. I don't want anyone to look at my life after I'm gone and say, "It was so sad, she wasted so much time mourning, etc."

Thanks for the reminder.

9/23/2005 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home