Wednesday, October 12, 2005

but it took so long to bake it...

My reply to Catherine's comment made me remember something light and airy I've been meaning to blog about for some time, so here it is.

I've got my very own jukebox, right in my head.

Only trouble is, it's on autopilot. I never know what song it's going to pop in there.

Being a musical person, I remember lyrics, pretty well. I also had an annoying habit in our band of knowing when we were playing a song in the wrong key. (Guitarists hate it when you tell them that, BTW.)

But the internal jukebox thing, man that can be annoying.

One morning last month I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting dressed when the line "someone left a cake out in the rain" popped into my head. (I don't even *LIKE* that song. At. all. Can't make me.)

If I accidentally turn on the shower water hotter than I want it, Kool and the Gang starts playing. (If you don't know what song I'm talking about, consider yourself lucky and I *won't* tell you, I promise.)

Even the mere suggestion of a phrase can be enough to have me hearing bad Mariah Carey songs (wait, are there any other kind?) ALL DAY.

If I actually hear a song (as opposed to just conjuring it out of my subconscious) it can be even more pervasive, and to rid my mind of it I've been known to repeatedly sing "Happy Birthday" or some other childhood song so that it is knocked out of my brain for a while. (This happens a lot when I'm trying in vain to fall asleep, and I've been known to think "Rockabye Baby" over and over and over and over and... well, you get the picture. It's my equivalent of counting sheep, I guess.)

Apologies to anyone who is now humming something annoying by the mere power of suggestion. Although I'd be very interested to know: what song gets stuck in YOUR head??

5 Comments:

Blogger cat said...

Nooooooo.... we call those song bombs. Singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic" will kill the song bomb. Seriously, try it sometime.

10/12/2005 5:52 PM  
Blogger laura said...

"girl, you know it's true/ooo, ooo, ooo/i love you"

(mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!)

hey, my secret word is "zgoof"! cool!

10/12/2005 6:50 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

oh my, i haven't heard that sappy song in YEARS. "and i'll never have that recipe agaaaaain! oh no!"
ahhhhh! ear worms!
thanks. a lot.
now tell me about the hot-shower song, i'm dying to know.

10/12/2005 8:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

Julie, I warned you. "it's too hot, too hot baby... gotta run for shelter, gotta RUUUU-UN for shade..."

Ok, maybe you don't know that one. YOU WOULD BE LUCKY!!!

10/12/2005 9:07 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

ahhhh Good choice. I know it well; I was thinking K.C. and the Sunshine Band for some stupid reason. And the earworm resulting from that was "Play that funky music, white boy". Which made no sense for a hot shower, except, well, I have no idea. Well okay, I sort of do, because this is how my brain works. Picturing myself in the shower, boogey-ing down to funky tunes, the song that arrives is "Brick House" (she's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out). ::shudder::

10/13/2005 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home