Tuesday, December 27, 2005

(Ok, since I seem to have scared away all of my readers, here's a disclaimer: not all of my thoughts these days involve bodily fluids, really. Most of them. Just not all of them.)

I made it through Christmas surprisingly ok. Even though this was supposed to be the year that my life changed completely, I'm doing ok.

My life *has* changed, of course. I'm a different person this Christmas than I was last year. I know that I'll never be able to go back to the person I was in 2004, but the person I'll be in 2006 will have a better perspective on all that this life holds. G also has a different perspective, too; the other day I overheard him talking about my surgery on the phone to a friend of his and he said "hopefully we'll be able to start trying again soon." I never thought I'd ever hear him say this at all a few years ago, and so for him to say it when he didn't know I was even around is wonderful.

In a few short days we will be bidding a fond farewell to this year, and welcoming in the next. I've read about a custom I plan to adopt this year, that of burning a bayberry candle from New Year's Eve into New Year's Day to bring good fortune to the next year.

I can't wait.

6 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

i hope 2006 holds only the good things the changed you deserves.

12/27/2005 8:31 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Didn't scare me away...I've just been in my own bad place, so I stopped talking for a bit. But I'm always reading. :o)

Mind if I borrow your bayberry candle idea? We need all the luck we can get.

12/27/2005 8:35 AM  
Blogger lorem ipsum said...

Never heard of that idea! Where's you hear about it? (With my dumb luck, the candle would 'blaze' a trail of 2005 into 2006, and not in a good way either.)

12/27/2005 10:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa P. said...

I actually got one as a gift last year and it had a poem attached to it. I didn't think much of it then but have since Googled on it and found that the poem goes like this:

A bayberry candle burned to the socket
Brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket.


Other versions add this to the beginning:
This bayberry candle comes from a friend
On New Years' Eve burn it down to the end


There's some sites that list that the "luck" only works if the candle was given to you, but I am not going to be picky this year. Any luck at this point...

12/27/2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

I've been checking in on you too - always do:)... just to make sure you are ok, but you were keeping that a secret!!

12/28/2005 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you're looking forward with a bit of hope. So what does need to happen before you can start trying again?

12/30/2005 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home